As a life long Star Wars fan I recently asked myself, “Why has Star Wars lasted so long and permeated so much of our society?” Why not, say, 2001 Space Odyssey or Independence Day? And then I thought, how does this apply to small business. I mean, if one can get the Force to be strong with their business, there is nothing but up (“light”) side!
Top 5 Things Your Small Business Can Learn From Star Wars:
- Great first impression – when Star Wars came out, it made one’s jaw drop from the beginning shot of a giant space ship chase. Now, you do not need to have a space ship chase but always remember, first impressions are often last impressions. Be mindful of this!
- Balance – when Jedi Master Obi-Wan told young Luke Skywalker about the Force, he talked about bringing balance back to it. That said, make sure your business does not have all its eggs in one basket. A little diversity can help!
- Memorable, Heartfelt Characters – let’s face it, if you don’t develop relationships with your customers, you are simply trying to get new ones all the time to replace those that ditched you. You can forget about referrals too!
- Do the right thing, even if it is hokey! – Luke Skywalker’s character may seem laughable to some in a jaded new millenium but his good heart is timless. Stay ethical! It will serve you well in the long run.
- Look Rad – yep! I said it, looks do matter. Make sure your brand (all your design stuff) looks professional. People do judge organizations on how they look if they have nothing else to do go by!
So there are a few things you can learn from Star Wars. May the Force be with you. Contact us today with any questions!